What personal information we collect
We collect, hold, use and share personal information to facilitate the supply of goods and provision of services which we offer. This enables us to identify and interact with individuals that we are dealing with, distinguish those individuals from others, keep appropriate records, analyse the market and demand for the goods we offer and customise our offering according to your preferences and interests. At all times we try to limit the collection of personal information only to the information we reasonably need for the particular function or activity we are carrying out.
This will ordinarily involve the collection of the following personal information from you:
- mobile and/or phone number;
- contact information;
- email address;
- employment details, including your job position;
- details about your vehicle and roof rack products and accessories;
- product preferences and interests;
- payment and billing information;
- IP address and technical information (such as operating system, browser information);
- information about your device, computer or network, referring domain and out link, search terms and pages visited on our website, date and time of access and browsing;
- geolocation if it is enabled on your device;
- interactions with us.
Sometimes we may need to collect sensitive information about you. For example, we may ask for information about your association memberships or your health in order to understand your requirements for and interests in specific goods you may want to purchase from us. If you apply for a job vacancy with us, we will ask for information relating to your health, family, background, education, professional association memberships, employment details and other personal and sensitive information.
We will not use government related identifiers as our identifiers of an individual, except where the APPs permit.
How we collect personal information
You provide it to us. The main way we collect personal information about you is when you give it to us. For example, you register on our website, place an order for our products or services, lodge a product complaint or some other complaint with us, compete a customer survey, provide your feedback, communicate with via email or contact us directly, apply for a job vacancy with us, or interact with us in some other manner. If you register your purchase of our product with us for warranty purposes we will collect your information via the on-line procedure contained in our website.
We collect it using IT resources. We will also collect your personal information when you access our website, mobile application, social media, emails, online promotions and advertisements or browse for our products. In this case, the collection of information will occur automatically and collected information will include device, IP address and technical information to identify you and log your use, purchase information and history, location information, geolocation, information recorded on our surveillance cameras if you are on or around our premises or facilities. We will use web analytics, cookies or similar technology, such as pixels, ad tags and tracking technologies.
We receive it from third parties. We may receive or collect your personal information from third parties, such as our dealers, distributors, affiliates, IT service providers, advertising and marketing agents, data providers, third party websites and applications. Information that we may receive include contact and personal identification information, information about your vehicle and roof rack products that you may have purchased or be interested in, information about the products and website content which you have accessed, browsed or enquired about, your preferences, product choice, purchase history, location, device and other technical information.
Purposes of collection and use of personal information
The primary purpose of our collection of personal information is to facilitate our work as a supplier of roof rack products and accessories and the management of our business relationships with distributors, customers and suppliers.
We collect your data so that we can:
- facilitate the creation of and manage your account with us, including registration on our website/mobile application;
- process your order, supply, provide, maintain and improve our products, services, website/mobile application/social media and other information about us and our products;
- send you emails about special offers about our products, related products and services we think you might be interested in;
- promote our products, services, website and social media;
- develop or conduct a research on development of new products and services;
- customise and personalise your experience, preferences and interests when you access our website or mobile application, advertising and other content about us and our products;
- contact you and provide information that you have requested or agreed to receive or may be interested in receiving;
- alert you to the latest developments in the industry and to notify you of new products;
- fulfill your requests for products and services, such as functionality of existing products, launching new products, distributing electronic newsletters and enabling you to participate in surveys and public forums;
- analyse, maintain and improve performance, effectiveness, security, and safety of our products and website;
- communicate and manage our relationship with you, including addressing any service and administrative issues;
- respond to your enquiries, service requests, questions on products, website, services, promotions and events we may organise;
- manage warranty and any other claims and provide product support and service information;
- analyse data about the use of and preferences about products and products features;
- assess your application for employment with us;
- make use of your information consistent with the context in which the information was collected or with your consent for other internal business purposes in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
In general, we will keep and use the information we collect from individuals to communicate, fulfil our contractual and warranty obligations and to provide information about our products. We will also use the information for commercial purposes of managing our finances, for the payment and collection of accounts.
In all cases where personal information relates to a business transaction, we may keep the information also for legal purposes (for example, evidence of information or advice we have given) and for tax purposes.
Storage of personal information
We may retain personal information we collect and keep in hard copy and/or electronically in our database. Information will be retained, backed up and may be stored via “cloud”–based technology or on a hard drive.
With regard to information kept electronically, we securely store your personal information on our cloud servers and use up-to-date virus software and prevention technology, password security and firewalls for our computer systems and websites. We implement IT and administrative internal protocols and keep our IT service providers accountable.
With regard to information stored in hard copies, we keep your information safe by using physical measures, including barriers, locks, doors and security alarms at the premises where our business is located and putting in place company policies relating to behavior and security.
We regularly assess the risk of misuse, interference, loss of and unauthorised access to personal information we hold. We take measures to address those risks by tracking and keeping records of access, changes to and deletion of personal information, and ensuring that personal information is only accessed when it is needed. We conduct regular internal and external audits to assess whether we have adequately complied with or implemented these measures.
Retention of personal information
Disclosure to third parties
We will disclose your personal information to persons and organisations external to Rhino Rack if our dealings with you would reasonably require us to do so and where you would reasonably expect us to do so.
Disclosure to service providers
Rhino-Rack uses a number of service providers to whom we disclose personal information. These include providers that host our website servers, manage our IT systems and database and manage our human resources information. We may also disclose your information to IT marketing and advertising agencies in order to tailor the content of our promotions and emails to your needs and interests.
To protect the personal information we disclose we:
- require a service provider to enter into a contract with us which requires them to only use or disclose the information for the purposes of the contract and to be compliant with the APPs;
- include specific privacy compliance requirements in the contract, where necessary.
Disclosure to our distributors and dealers
If you have enquired about our products, we may refer your personal information to our distributor or dealer to assist in providing information as to the availability and suitability of our products for your needs.
Disclosure of sensitive information
We only disclose your sensitive information for the purposes for which you gave it to us or for directly related purposes you would reasonably expect or if you agree, for example, to handle a complaint or assess your employment application.
Disclosure of personal information overseas
Ordinarily we will not disclose your personal information to overseas recipients unless you are an overseas customer. In this case, we will refer your personal information to our overseas affiliate company or dealer.
Google Analytics collects web traffic information when you visit our website. Google stores such information across multiple countries.
When you use social network services such as Facebook or Instagram to communicate with us or to find our products and services, the social network provider and its partners may collect and hold your personal information overseas.
Disclosure to subcontractors
Rhino Rack may engage external contractors to:
- clean our premises;
- conduct clerical, mail-out, marketing and other tasks; and/or
- provide temporary staff.
The use of such external contractors means that they may have access to the personal information stored in the database, or seen in our offices. We will, where practicable, require such contractors to agree to comply with the APPs.
It is impracticable for us to allow distributors, resellers, customers and suppliers to remain anonymous. For professional, legal and confidentiality reasons, we need to know the identity of the people we are dealing with at all times.
If you are browsing our website, you may choose not to accept cookies and use settings to remove cookies from your browser. In this case, some features on our website may not function or be available and your use of our website will be limited as a result.
Quality of personal information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate, up-to-date and complete. Our staff is responsible to record personal information accurately. Where necessary, we confirm the accuracy of information we collect from a third party or a public source, update or add new personal information to existing records, audit our contact lists for accuracy.
We review the accuracy of personal information before we use or disclose it.
We will periodically give individuals the opportunity to check certain details (particularly contact details) within the information we hold.
We encourage individuals to let us know if they become aware that the personal information we hold is inaccurate and we will respond promptly to any request for correction of data and will act quickly to correct any data that is found to be inaccurate.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Under the APPs, an individual whose personal information we hold has the right to ask for access to that information or ask that we correct that personal information. You can ask for access or correction by contacting us and we will respond within 30 days.
If you make a request, we must give you access to your personal information, and take reasonable steps to correct it if we consider it is incorrect, unless there is a law that allows or requires us not to. Please note that the access right is qualified. In some circumstances it may be lawful for us to refuse to give access to some or all the information we hold.
We may ask you provide addition information in order to verify your identity before we give you access to your information or correct it.
If we decide to refuse to give you access to, or correct, your personal information, we will notify you in writing and provide the reasons for our decision. If we refuse to correct your personal information, you can request that we attach a statement which sets out what information you believe to be incorrect and why.
If we have disclosed the incorrect information to third parties, you can ask us to notify them about the correction. We must do so unless there is a valid reason not to.
How to make a complaint
If you wish to complain to us about our privacy practices or handling of your personal information, you will need to submit your complaint to us in writing and provide details.
To make a complaint, we ask that the individual contact us:
- by email at email@example.com ;
- by phone on +61 2 8846 1900; or
- by mail to The Privacy Officer, Rhino Rack Australia Pty Ltd, 22A Hanson Place, Eastern Creek, NSW 2766;
Once we receive a complaint from you, we will determine what (if any) action we should take to resolve the complaint.
We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint and will respond to it within 30 days. We may need to seek further information from you if we are to respond in a meaningful way.
We encourage you to contact us with any concern regarding our use and handling of our personal information and we will use our best efforts to resolve such complaint to your satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with our response you may refer your complaint to the Privacy Commissioner or to the Commonwealth Ombudsman. Please refer to the Office of Australian Information Commissioner for further details. https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/
For enquiries about our approach to privacy, requests for access to personal information we hold, and complaints, please contact our Privacy Officer by:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org ;
- phone +61 2 8846 1900; or
- mail The Privacy Officer, Rhino Rack Australia Pty Ltd, 22A Hanson Place, Eastern Creek, NSW 2766;
We thank you for your interest in our products and services.
Last updated: 17 February 2020
Published on our website at http://www.rhinorack.com.au/privacy-policy.